If you’re like me, you’ve often seen those strings of triangular paper hanging from the ceiling at a party, but you have no idea how to describe them or what to call them.  I don’t think I ever thought about them more than for 2 seconds, to say “oh, that looks nice”.

From the Guardian.com. Photograph: Craig Holmes Premium/Alamy

So imagine my surprise when I read in the Guardian today that these things are called bunting, and that they are the “quintessential British garden party decoration”.  How lovely!

This article does an nice job of describing how easy it is to make bunting, and they even include a pattern. Of course, it also mentions that it’s an upcoming Bank Holiday, which practically guarantees that the weather is going to be rainy and cold, perfect for ruining all the lovely bunting!


Posted on 25/05/2010, in Silly British Things and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.

  1. Suzanne M-G

    That stuff looks like underwear!

  2. There’s a lullaby:
    Bye Baby bunting
    Daddy’s gone a-hunting
    To find a little rabbit skin
    To wrap the Baby Bunting in

    Any idea where that originated?

  1. Pingback: paperdollsmile

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s